Winston-Salem Theatre Alliance:
Actors’ Code of Conduct
1. Respect for All
• Treat all cast and crew members, regardless of their role, with respect and kindness.
• Embrace diversity and inclusion. Discrimination, harassment, or any form of prejudice will not be
• Show appreciation to the volunteers, sponsors, and supporters of Theatre Alliance.
• Arrive on time for rehearsals, performances, and other scheduled events.
• Be prepared and know your lines, blocking, and cues.
• Communicate promptly with the director or production manager if you are unable to attend a rehearsal or
performance or are running late.
3. Rehearsal Etiquette
• Be present and participate in all scheduled rehearsals.
• Keep noise and distractions to a minimum during rehearsals.
• Use rehearsal time efficiently and stay focused on the task at hand.
4. Attendance and Commitment
• Honor your commitment to the production and fulfill your role to the best of your abilities.
• Prioritize your commitment to the production. Frequent and unexcused absences may result in your role
• Attend all scheduled rehearsals and performances unless you have a legitimate reason for absence.
• Communicate any expected absences to the director or production manager in advance.
5. Promotion, Publicity, and Social Media
• Actively participate in promoting the production within the community as requested.
• Be mindful of your public image and the image of the community theatre when posting on social media.
• Do not make disparaging remarks or engage in negative discussions about the theatre, its members, or
6. Flexibility and Cooperation
• Be flexible and adaptable to changes in the production schedule or creative direction.
• Collaborate with fellow actors, directors, and crew members to create a cohesive production.
• Be open to feedback and constructive criticism.
• Follow safety guidelines and instructions provided by the production team.
• Prioritize the safety of yourself and others on and off the stage.
• Report any safety concerns or hazards promptly to the appropriate person.
8. Script and Blocking
• Respect the script and follow your character’s lines and actions as directed by the director.
• Avoid making unauthorized changes to the script or blocking.
9. Costumes, Props, and Microphones
• Take care of costumes and props assigned to you and return them in the same condition after
• Do not borrow or use any costumes or props without permission.
• Return costumes and props promptly after each performance.
• We are lucky to have professional-grade wireless microphones. They are very expensive, however,
so please treat them with the utmost care.
• Respect the costume designer/wig designer and their vision for the show. Be open to last-minute
10. Curtain Calls
• Participate in curtain calls & post-show photos and show appreciation to the audience.
• Assist in load-ins, strike, and cleaning up the theater/backstage areas after each performance.
12. Conflict Resolution
• If conflicts arise, address them calmly and professionally, seeking resolution through open
• If a conflict persists, involve the director or a designated mediator for assistance.
13. Alcohol and Substance Use
• Do not consume alcohol or illegal substances before or during rehearsals or performances.
• Respect the theatre’s policies regarding alcohol and substance use. Any person under the influence will
be asked to leave a rehearsal and will not be allowed to perform.
14. Privacy and Confidentiality
• Respect the privacy and confidentiality of your fellow actors and production team members.
• Do not share sensitive information or behind-the-scenes details without permission.
By participating in our community theatre, you agree to abide by this code of conduct. Failure to do so may result
in disciplinary action, including potential removal from the production or future productions.
Thank you for your dedication to creating outstanding theatrical experiences and for contributing positively to our
community theatre family. Together, we can make each production a memorable and enjoyable event for all